Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Golden Compass

the golden compass is a very boring yet interesting book, I had a really hard time reading the book, it was too long for me, so i just listened to the audio book even then i didn't finish it because it was too long. its interesting how everyone says theres a lot of controversy on how the book presents a negative portrayal of religion. Which I think is bullshit, because I think the idea of ridiculing and questioning ones religion is critical in thinking outside the box and looking at the many choices we have, instead of blindly following some ideology, that could very well be false. In my point of view, regardless of what people might say about the book criticizing religion, I think its simply a piece of fantasy work that only sets up the plot for the next two books in the series. Yet I probably will not pick up the next book in the series because the story that revolves around the main character lyra, is very unsatisfying. though I did not finish the book, after reading summaries, in the end of the book where roger dies pisses me off since from the beginning of the book lyra vows to save him, and everything in the plot leads up to Lord Asriel killing roger so he can enter into the new dimension, and this was only due to lyra bringing roger to him. Which I think is ridiculous and a wast of my time. Again I have lost hours of my life on a book that i sure as hell don't give a damn about, hours that I will not get back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment